What to Pack for Hawaii: a packing list
If you’ve ever been to Hawaii then you know once you travel to Hawaii – you will forever want to go back for another trip. Think light fabrics, workout gear for the endless hikes, and all the bathing suits to bask in that Hawaiian sun. Before any trip, knowing what to pack is crucial so I’ve created this Hawaii Packing List for you so you don’t have to pack your entire wardrobe in order to travel to paradise.
What to Bring to Hawaii
For traveling to Hawaii, since the weather is always humid you should plan on bringing lighter clothing. You’ll want to pack for the beach and casual dinners mostly. However, there are tons of beautiful hikes in Hawaii so make sure to pack plenty of activewear as well. Furthermore, the hikes can be pretty muddy so don’t count on re-using any activewear!
Clothing to Pack for Hawaii
I’ve curated this list for a 5-night stay in Hawaii. If you plan on staying longer or shorter remove items as see fit. I think it’s important to note that you should leave your nice/fancy clothes at home. Since many of the appeals to Hawaii is outdoor adventures you’ll mostly be wearing casual clothes.
- 5-6 swimsuits
- 2-3 swim cover-ups
- a maxi dress
- 2-3 sundresses/rompers
- denim shorts
- 2-3 linen shorts
- 2-3 blouses (Hawaiin print for fun!)
- 3-4 activewear shorts
- 3-4 tank tops/tees
- 3 activewear tops
- 2-3 sports bras
- socks and undies
Accessories to Pack for Hawaii
- 2-3 flat sandals
- 1 pair sneakers
- 1 pair of water shoes
- 2 sun hats
- a visor or baseball cap for hiking
- 2-3 sunglasses
- simple jewelry
Outdoor Gear to Pack for Hawaii
- snorkeling masks
- snorkeling is a huge part of Hawaii so buy your own snorkeling mask before you go (we purchased ours from Target for $28 – it’s linked below). So you don’t have to worry about high rental costs and germs!
- water shoes
- if you buy anything for Hawaii, it should be water shoes. We utilized these shoes almost every day for our hikes and rocky water adventures.
- waterproof phone cases
- for all the snorkeling in Hawaii, it’s best to capture those moments in the underwater world.
Miscellaneous items to Bring to Hawaii
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen
- I cannot recommend this enough! We went through two bottles between my husband and I. Sunscreen is more expensive on the Hawaiian islands so it’s best to pack 2-3 sunscreens in your luggage.
- You can shop my favorite face sunscreen HERE and make sure to use CODE LETRAVELSTYLE for 15% off.
- Bug spray
- Hawaii is high in humidity cue all the bugs. Especially at night and during your hiking adventures, it’s best to use bug spray in order to not get bitten.
- Packing cubes
- I love these from Amazon and I never travel without them. It’s the perfect way to organize your clothing for vacation and you can easily pop them into a drawer when you’re checking into your hotel.
- A trash bag
- Because of the treacherous and sometimes muddy hikes, your shoes/clothes will most definitely get dirty. It’s best to pack a trash bag to throw your muddy clothes and shoes at the end of the trip.
What Not to Bring to Hawaii
When you get to Hawaii you’ll instantly notice the laid back feel so there is no need to bring the following items to Hawaii:
- High heels
- Winter jackets
- Bulky sweaters
- Expensive dresses and jewelry
I hope you enjoyed this Ultimate Hawaii Packing List. So since you now know what to bring to Hawaii, it’s time to start planning your trip! Head to our Hawaii Page for more travel guides to the beautiful Hawaiian islands. And don’t forget to check out the “15 Travel Essentials: to pack for your next trip”!