What to Pack for Hawaii: a packing list
If you’ve ever been to Hawaii then you know once you travel to Hawaii – you will forever want to go back for another trip. Think light fabrics, workout gear for the endless hikes, and all the bathing suits to bask in that Hawaiian sun. Before any trip, knowing what to pack is crucial so I’ve created this Hawaii Packing List for you so you don’t have to pack your entire wardrobe in order to travel to paradise.
What to Bring to Hawaii
While all opinions and recommendations are always my own, my content on this blog post may contain affiliate links for products I use and love. This means I get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking one of these links. As always, I am so thankful for your support!
For traveling to Hawaii, since the weather is always humid you should plan on bringing lighter clothing. You’ll want to pack for the beach and casual dinners mostly. However, there are tons of beautiful hikes in Hawaii so make sure to pack plenty of activewear as well. Furthermore, the hikes can be pretty muddy so don’t count on re-using any activewear!
Clothing to Pack for Hawaii
I’ve curated this list for a 5-night stay in Hawaii. If you plan on staying longer or shorter remove items as see fit. I think it’s important to note that you should leave your nice/fancy clothes at home. Since many of the appeals to Hawaii is outdoor adventures you’ll mostly be wearing casual clothes.
- 5-6 swimsuits: If you overpack anything in your suitcase let it be this. Being that Hawaii is full of beautiful beaches, ocean activities, and multiple waterfalls you’ll always want to have bathing suits handy! I always find great suits at Aerie, Cupshe, + Revolve.
- 2-3 swim cover-ups: I always like mine to be flowy so I’m the most comfortable. Linking my favorites here and here.
- 2-3 flowy dresses: These really come in handy when the temperatures are high in the spring/summer. My favorite white dress is linked here, here, + here.
- 2-3 sundresses/rompers
- 2 pairs of denim shorts: my favorite shorts are from Abercrombie they’re great for all sizes. Linked my favorites HERE. I also love my Levi cut-offs they’re so classic and never go out of style.
- 2 pairs of linen shorts: for the warm and humid days you’ll want to pack lightweight shorts. I love this pair, it’s kept me nice and cool during those hot Hawaii days!
- 1-2 blouses (puff sleeves are an easy way to spruce up a look!)
- 3-4 activewear shorts + tops: I love getting mine from Lululemon because they last forever. If you’re on a budget, Amazon has some amazing Lululemon dupes that you can shop here.
- 3-4 tank tops/tees: I always find the best basics at either Free People & Abercrombie. It’s nice to have some neutral tees and tanks handy during your stay.
These Levi shorts from Revolve are another favorite. For easy and affordable basics check out: Abercrombie, Free People, and H&M. Bathing suits are always so hard to find but I’ve found that Aerie, Cupshe, and Revolve have the best suits. Finally, I’ve found amazing lululemon dupes on my amazon shop that are just as good for a fraction of the price, check it out here!
Accessories to Pack for Hawaii
- 2-3 flat sandals (check out my favorite flip-flops here that I’ve had for years and even hiked in)
- Chic flat sandals for dinner (these ones are so comfy!)
- 1-2 pairs of sneakers: they will most likely get muddy so that’s why I recommend bringing two. Shop my favorite pair of Asics here (they’re the only shoes I will hike in).
- 1 pair of water shoes: I love these Columbia Water Shoes because they are as cute as you’re gonna get with water shoes.
- A wide brim sun hat: I love this one from Brixton I have it in multiple colors. Also, I’ve been eyeing this Lack of Color Boater Hat and I just purchased and it has easily become my new favorite!
- a visor or baseball cap for hiking
- 2-3 sunglasses
- simple jewelry
Outdoor Gear to Pack for Hawaii
- snorkeling masks
- snorkeling is a huge part of Hawaii so buy your own snorkeling mask before you go (we purchased ours from Target for $28). So you don’t have to worry about high rental costs and germs!
- water shoes
- waterproof phone cases
- For all the snorkeling in Hawaii, it’s best to capture those moments in the underwater world. This pack comes with two cases that work very well!
Miscellaneous Items to Bring to Hawaii
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen
- I cannot recommend this enough! We went through two bottles between my husband and I. Sunscreen is more expensive on the Hawaiian islands so it’s best to pack some in your luggage. Also, this GOOP FACE SUNSCREEN BRUSH is perfect for traveling because it adds SPF to your face all while not messing up your makeup. It’s my new holy grail product and you need to add this one to your packing list! Finally, my daily moisturizer with SPF is incredible for traveling + every day.
- Being in the sun all day will really dry out your skin. For the best lotion check out Necessaire. It’s a little pricey but you’ll see the difference in your skin!
- Bug spray
- Hawaii is high in humidity cue all the bugs. Especially at night and during your hiking adventures, it’s best to use bug spray in order to not get bitten.
- Packing cubes
- A trash bag
- Because of the treacherous and sometimes muddy hikes, your shoes/clothes will most definitely get dirty. It’s best to pack a trash bag to throw your muddy clothes and shoes at the end of the trip.
What Not to Bring to Hawaii
When you get to Hawaii you’ll instantly notice the laid back feel so there is no need to bring the following items to Hawaii:
- High heels
- Winter jackets
- Bulky sweaters
- Expensive dresses and jewelry
I hope you enjoyed this Ultimate Hawaii Packing List. So since you now know what to bring to Hawaii, it’s time to start planning your trip! Head to our Hawaii Page for more travel guides to the beautiful Hawaiian islands. And don’t forget to check out the “15 Travel Essentials: to pack for your next trip“!