It can seem daunting to know what to pack for Mexico, but I’m here to show you the basics that you need when packing for Mexico. I’ve even included a Mexico Packing List! Mexico is known for its beautiful beaches, tropical temperatures, and immersive culture. Whether you’re going to Tulum, Cabo, or Cancun – I’m going to show you what you need to bring when traveling to Mexico.
MEXICO PACKING LIST
While all opinions and recommendations are always my own, my content on this blog post may contain affiliate links for products I use and love. This means I get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking one of these links. As always, I am so thankful for your support!
When packing, think of chic neutrals and flowy dresses/jumpsuits. Also, remember that it is extremely humid in most areas of Mexico so you’ll want to make sure your clothing is BREATHABLE (stay away from polyester my friends) – when you catch that mid-day breeze you will feel it!
INSIDER TIP: when gathering your clothing it’s best to lay everything out in piles so it’s all visible and you can see a color scheme right away. Finally, I never leave home with my favorite packing cubes. They really help you stay organized throughout the entire trip!
Mexico is pretty much hot year-round and at night it doesn’t cool down much. From June-September I would advise against a jacket altogether to make more room for bathing suits and cover-ups. I traveled to Mexico in May and December respectively, brought a zip-up sweatshirt, and didn’t use it once. Remember to bring enough items for a change of clothes throughout the day because if you’re walking around, you will hands-down get sweaty AF.
- 2-4 pairs of shorts: my favorite shorts are from Abercrombie they’re great for all sizes. Linked my favorites HERE and HERE. Also can’t pack without my Levi Shorts they’re such a classic!
- 2-3 flowy Dresses: These really come in handy when the temperatures are high in the spring/summer. My favorite white dress is linked here, here + here.
- 5-6 bathing suits: If you overpack anything in your suitcase let it be this. Being that Tulum is full of beautiful beaches, ocean activities, and multiple cenotes you’ll always want to have bathing suits handy! I always find great suits at Aerie, Cupshe, + Revolve.
- 4-5 bathing suit cover-ups: I always like mine to be flowy so I’m the most comfortable. Linking my favorites here and here.
- 1 linen jumpsuit
- A matching set
- Could be wide-leg pants and a cropped top, or high waisted shorts and a matching top
- 3 casual day dresses
- think flowy white babydoll
- 5-7 basic cotton or linen tanks: I always find the best basics at either Free People & Abercrombie. It’s nice to have some neutral tees and tanks handy during your stay.
- 2 activewear looks: I love getting mine from Lululemon because they last forever. If you’re on a budget, Amazon has some amazing Lululemon dupes that you can shop here.
*This packing list is great for 4-6 days in Mexico
shop my favorite clothing items below
What Accessories to pack for Mexico?
- comfortable sandals for any excursions: these ones from Olukai are my absolute favorite. I have hiked many times in them and they’ve lasted me for years!
- water shoes for cenotes
- Chic sandals for dinner: I have these and they’re super comfortable
- A wide brim sun hat: I love this one from Brixton I have it in multiple colors. Also, I’ve been eyeing this Lack of Color Boater Hat and I just purchased and it has easily become my new favorite!
- hair scarves (comes in handy when you want to throw your hair up in a bun)
- 3-4 pairs of sunglasses: shop my favorite affordable pair here!
- large straw beach tote
- statement earrings
- neutral crossbody
shop my favorite accessories below
Miscellaneous items to pack for Mexico
These items came in handy during traveling internationally:
- Sunscreen: This GOOP FACE SUNSCREEN BRUSH is perfect for traveling because it adds SPF to your face all while not messing up your makeup. It’s my new holy grail product and you need to add this one to your packing list! Also, my daily moisturizer with SPF is incredible for traveling + every day!
- Pesos since most places in Mexico only accept pesos or cash.
- Lotion, being in the sun all day causes your skin to be super dry. For the best lotion to keep your skin hydrated check out my favorite from NECESSAIRE.
- BUG SPRAY: the mosquitos are out in full force during the humid months. Don’t forget to pack this one!
- YOUR PASSPORT: super important being that you won’t be able to get into the country without this. Give yourself a few reminders!
shop miscellaneous items
I hope this makes packing for Mexico a breeze and if you ever have any questions, feel free to leave a comment or reach out to me directly on Instagram! Thanks for reading my “What to Pack for Mexico: a packing list” and feel free to click here for more of my Mexico guides!
Since you’re traveling you’ll also want to check out my “15 travel essentials for your next trip“.
pin this post for later
Taylor Deer says
This is a great packing guide Courtney! It’ll be super helpful for when I eventually go.
Courtney Delfino says
I’m excited for you Taylor!
Robyn Taatjes says
Thanks for writing this guide! It will be so helpful when I travel to Tulum. It can be difficult to know what to pack when you go somewhere you’ve never been and this guide has been so insightful.
Courtney Delfino says
I’m so glad you enjoyed it Robyn! I totally get that and will for sure be making more packing guides in the future!